Lleoliad: Siambr y Cyngor, Canolfan Ddinesig. Gweld cyfarwyddiadau
Cyswllt: Neil Barnett Cynghorydd Craffu
None however, Councillor Adan wished for it to be noted that he is employed by the DWP as there is mention to the DWP restart programme in the service plans.
Cofnodion y Cyfarfod Diwethaf PDF 136 KB
The minutes of the previous meeting held 11th July 2022 were accepted as a true and accurate record.
Matters Arising: A Glossary of Acronyms was requested previously, and this will be followed up. Also, the committee wished for an update about the merging of Track and Trace with Caerphilly.
Cynlluniau Gwasanaeth y Cyngor 2022 - 2024 PDF 259 KB
Regeneration and Economic Development
- Paul Jones – Strategic Director for Environment and Sustainability
- Tracey Brooks - Head of Regeneration and Economic Development
- Matthew Tribbeck - Regeneration and Place Manager
The Strategic Director noted that this was the first of the four new service areas with four new Heads of Service and also noted that they have been able to set the agenda for the next 5 years in line with current wellbeing objectives. The Strategic director noted that this was an opportunity to get feedback at the draft stage before these were formally approved. The Head of Service introduced the report and highlighted the new areas that are now covered under regeneration and Economic Development. The Head of service noted that the service plan was split into different sections such as the Transformation plan and gave some examples of what that covered. The Head of Service noted that in the main body of the service plan there were 4 objectives.
Members asked the following:
· A committee member asked for clarification about the IAC building.
The Head of Service informed the committee that the IAC building was the former sorting office building on Mill Street.
· Are all the projects still deliverable with the increasing costs such as fuel and labour, and there should be an action to review each before providing support?
The Head of Service responded that they go through fairly rigorous and detailed evaluations in terms of project management and so they are constantly monitoring and highlighted that there was a monitoring framework that is used for funding. The Head of Service added that they are also constantly looking at how they are able to embed Climate Change and Net Zero options within that as well.
· Are Officers able to take advantage of additional Football Association for Wales money for grassroots football following the World Cup?
The Head of Service advised they work closely with Newport Live to get the most out of funders and partners so as not to miss any opportunities.
· A committee member welcomed the consideration of a cultural strategy, and highlighted the Older Person Information day that was developed in the name of the 50+ forum and noted that it was the largest event of this description and a leader in Wales in 2019. The committee member highlighted that they are now faced with the challenge of finding an alternative venue for such large numbers of people and asked the officers how many employees had engaged with the job fair?
The Regeneration and Place Manager detailed that there had been 60 employers and partners and 400 job seekers. The Regeneration and Place Manager noted that a venue in the city centre that could host large numbers of people could be useful for events of this nature in future.
· Is there funding to restore commercial properties and is the Service Area looking to encourage commercial use or use the properties for residential purposes.
The Head of Service stated that there was a ... view the full Cofnodion text for item 4.
Adroddiad Cynghorydd Craffu PDF 135 KB
a) Forward Work Programme Update (Appendix 1)
b) Actions Plan (Appendix 2)
- Neil Barnett – Scrutiny Adviser
The Scrutiny Adviser presented the Forward Work Programme, and informed the Committee of the topics due to be discussed at the next two committee meetings:
Monday 5th December 2022 at 4pm, the agenda items;
- Council Service Plans 2022 – 2024
o People, Policy and Transformation
o Law and Standards
Monday 23rd January 2023 at 2pm, the agenda items;
- 2023-24 Draft Budget Proposals
The Scrutiny advisor noted that the outstanding actions would be followed up.